Summer is settling in, and we are pretty sure you’re flaunting off that summer body that you’ve been building up for months! You still have a couple of weeks to show off what you’ve got, so it’s really important that you maintain that figure.
Time to hit up the salad bar and fill yourself up with healthy greens! Unfortunately, constantly eating out will drain your wallet. Why not whip up several salads of your own? They’re guaranteed to be healthy, refreshing, and really easy to make. They will fill you up for sure, without breaking your figure.
Check out these healthy summer salads you can definitely try out for yourself.
If you’re looking for some meat in your summer treat, then this is a perfect salad to try out. The heirloom tomatoes give you a big serving of vitamins A, C, and K, as well as potassium. The fresh basil, thyme, parsley, and chives will give you that cool relief from the warm summer night. This particular recipe comfortably serves 6.
4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
2½ teaspoons granulated sugar
½ teaspoon black pepper
3 cups cooked chicken (shredded)
½ cup red onion (thinly sliced)
2 pounds heirloom tomatoes (cut into 1/2 -inch wedges)
2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (minced)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme (finely chopped)
2 tablespoons fresh basil (minced)
2 tablespoons fresh chives (finely chopped)
1. Whip up the vinaigrette. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, sugar, salt, and pepper.
2. In a separate large bowl, toss together the chicken shreds, tomatoes, onion, parsley, thyme, basil, and chives.
3. Pour in the vinaigrette into the large bowl. Continue gently mixing until fully combined.
4. Serve immediately.
This salad originates from the Middle East and is made up of bulgur wheat (cracked wheat), cucumber, tomatoes, and fresh herbs. Bulgur wheat is packed with plant-based protein and vital minerals. It’s also high in dietary fiber but low in fat. Perfect for a healthy digestion and a happy and healthy heart.
1 cup bulgur wheat
1 cup water
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
¼ cup olive oil
1 clove garlic (finely minced)
⅓ cup scallions (sliced)
2 cups tomatoes (chopped)
1½ cups cucumbers (chopped)
1 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
½ cup fresh mint (chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the bulgur in a large heat-resistant bowl.
2. In a small saucepan, bring the cup of water to a boil. Stir in the salt. Pour the boiling water over the bulgur wheat.Let the mixture sit for about 30 minutes, or until the bulgur fully absorbs the water.
3. While the bulgur is soaking in the water, whisk together the lemon juice and the olive oil in a small bowl. Put in the minced garlic and whisk again.
4. Pour the dressing over the bulgur that has completely absorbed the water. Mix properly.
5. Next, add in the scallions, cucumbers, tomatoes, and mint. Continue to mix until fully combined. Add in some salt and pepper to taste.
If you’re pressed for time and are expecting company to come barging through the door soon, then this salad will be a lifesaver. It only takes about 5 minutes, but it certainly does not scrimp on the flavor and the health benefits it can give you. The pomegranate seeds gives your immune system a boost while providing healthy heart support. The couscous contains protein and fiber, but is sugar-free and fat-free.
130 grams roast turkey slices
200 grams fresh Moroccan couscous
80 grams green salad leaves
100 grams pomegranate seeds
1. Simply shred the turkey slices into bite-sized pieces.
2. Then in a large bowl, place the turkey pieces, salad leaves, and couscous.
3. Drizzle in your desired amount of olive oil and toss everything well.
4. Sprinkle the pomegranate seeds evenly on top. Add black pepper to taste.
Who says salads have to always be made up of vegetables? This is a perfect blend of light and refreshing summer fruits and quinoa that’ll fill you right up. Quinoa contains a high amount of protein and fiber. These two will help you maintain that desired weight. This salad is a perfect pair to a hot and muggy summer night. The mint adds a cooling and refreshing kick.
1 cup quinoa
1½ cups blueberries
1½ cups strawberries (sliced)
1½ cups mango chunks
2 cups water
1 pinch salt
chopped mint for garnish
For Honey-Lime Dressing
juice of 1 large lime
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons mint leaves (finely chopped)
1. With a strainer, first rinse the quinoa under cold water. After, place the quinoa, water, and pinch of salt in a medium saucepan. Bring the mix to a boil over medium heat. Boil for about 5 minutes. Next, bring the heat to low and let simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the water is fully absorbed.
2. Once done, remove from the heat and gently mix the quinoa with a fork. Let it cool to room temperature.
3. Meanwhile, go ahead and make the honey-lime dressing. In another small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, honey, and mint until fully combined.
4. Next, in a large bowl, combine the quinoa, strawberries, blueberries, and mango chunks. Pour the dressing over the fruits and quinoa. Mix everything until well coated. Garnish with mint.
This salad is best served chilled, so you can pop the bowl in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Take note that this salad keeps in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Looking at this pretty and flavorful salad, you just want to curl up on a blanket and stay outside forever. The blueberries supply you with antioxidants to protect you from harmful free radicals. The cucumber slices add a nice crunch. And the sweet corn just screams SUMMER!
1 cup fresh blueberries
6 ears fresh sweet corn (husked)
1 cucumber (sliced)
¼ cup red onion (finely chopped)
¼ cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon salt
In a large pot, bring some water to a boil. Add in the corn. Cook for around 5 minutes or until tender. Take out cobs and let cool. When cool enough to handle, husk kernels.
2. After, in a large bowl, mix the corn, blueberries, cucumber slices, red onion, cilantro, and jalapeno pepper.
3. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, honey, oil, cumin, salt, and pepper.
4. Pour the dressing over the salad and gently mix everything completely.
5. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.